If you Like HowToVanish on Facebook then we will give you one of the $2-3 30 page Mini-Guides for free. Just send us a message on Facebook and let us know which one you want: (1) Financial, (2) Political or (3) Personal.

Post image for How To Make Anonymous Comments On A Website

How To Make Anonymous Comments On A Website

by Bill Rounds Esq. on January 2, 2011

Reading time: 3 – 4 minutes

Anonymous speech is pretty important.  Political critique and commentary, reporting crimes, and many other situations demand the ability to speak anonymously to preserve truth, promote safety, and protect rights.  Anonymity also promotes the spread of the best ideas because the idea is not contaminated with the reputation of the speaker.

Anonymous Speech Is Free Speech

Blog comments are the new public pamphlet.  Instead of publishing a piece of paper, people post articles and comments to the articles.

You might need to make an anonymous comment:

1.  if you are in the military and want to leave a comment in support of Julian Assange, Wikileaks, Private Bradley Manning, or many other important topics deemed not appropriate for the military;

2.  if you want to leave a comment that would be classified as a characteristic of a domestic terrorist such as citing the US Constitution;

3.  if you want to make a comment criticizing Israel, criticizing US foreign policy, or supporting Saudi Arabia, Islam, Muslims, Palestinians, the Qu’ran, or Iran;

4.  when making a comment contrary to the political, religious or scientific beliefs, opinions and policies of friends, family members, co-workers, employers, or others in the community;

5.   when making any comment that might incriminate you in illegal activity.

It is imperative that there be a way to comment anonymously.  So here is  how to leave a comment anonymously.

Step 1: Use A VPN Or Other Proxy Server

When you leave a comment, the website administrator can usually see the IP address of the computer that left the comment.  This can be used to trace the comment back to your computer unless you are using a proxy server.  So anytime you want to make a truly anonymous comment, go through a trusted proxy like Witopia, Cryptohippie or Identity Cloaker.

Step 2: Use A Pseudonym

The internet is full of pseudonyms.  You can use the same pseudonym many times to build up a reputation behind the pseudonym, like Thomas Paine or Benjamin Franklin did, or you can choose a new and exciting handle every time you comment.

Step 3: Fake An Email Address

Some websites, like HowToVanish.com, don’t make you register to comment.  On these sites you can put sown any bogus email address with an “@” and a “.com”.  Things like “publius@federalist.com” or “mark@twain.com” will work just fine.

Some sites make you register or log in before commenting.  You can set up an anonymous free email account all over the place.  Do that using the proxy server, use the anonymous email address, and never use it again, except maybe to comment on the same website.

Conclusion

Anonymous comments on a website protect privacy, protect fundamental rights and promotes the public good.  You can find other tips for protecting the privacy of your communications in the book How To Vanish.  Now that you know how to comment anonymously on websites, use your powers for good!

No tips yet.
Be the first to tip!

Support How To Vanish - Tip With Bitcoin

16wsePbfqcyKWHTxwuzHTsz9KKucShkkyo

Find this post helpful? Please consider tipping with Bitcoin. Each article gets a unique Bitcoin address so by tipping you help make How To Vanish sustainable and give valuable feedback on which content is most appreciated!

99,477 random numbersEmail Email Print Print

11 comments

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Bill Rounds, Esq. is a California attorney. He holds a degree in Accounting from the University of Utah and a law degree from California Western School of Law. He practices civil litigation, domestic and foreign business entity formation and transactions, criminal defense and privacy law. He is a strong advocate of personal and financial freedom and civil liberties. This is merely one article of 123 by .
Free HowToVanish Privacy Guide

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Laura June 11, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Hi,
I want to comment on a website to warn the public of their shananagans.
If they find out it’s me – well, they can’t exactly sue me – I’m a little short on funds, lol.
But I’d rather them not find out….
I don’t want to pay anything to do this, whatsoever.
Is there a free proxy server??
Thanks

2 Trace Mayer, J.D. June 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Laura, free proxy servers are always springing up and going away. You can usually find one for something like this by doing a search on DuckDuckGo or Startpage which are search engines that do not keep any information about searchers.

3 Marc July 9, 2012 at 8:40 am

Good article, Bill.

I will add, if I may, to the conversation and suggest that users like Laura consider what I use: the Bloody Vikings add-on for Firefox.

It’s perfect for these situations (well, all except for the proxy server part, which I’ll comment on in a second).

The Bloody Vikings add-on, which I’ve used here, can automatically pull up a temporary e-mail address from one of several services. I usually go with Yopmail.com as it provides both a public e-mail address, like the one I’ve used to post here, as well as an “alias”: a second, non-public e-mail address which I don’t give out but instead go to when I want to check that particular inbox. So, in this case, I give out the marc.garcia-6qfuheg@yopmail.com address and then go to @yopmail.com to see the e-mails that have arrived for marc.garcia-6qfuheg@yopmail.com. All e-mails that are sent to marc.garcia-6qfuheg@yopmail.com are automatically moved out of that inbox and into the @yopmail.com box so that my communications are private because people can check the marc.garcia-6qfuheg@yopmail.com address all they want but they’ll never see any e-mail. :-)

On the proxy server front, I recommend using a VPN as you’ve suggested, Bill. In fact, I use Witopia myself. If, for whatever reason, that’s not an option for someone, consider using the free proxy server at http://www.HideMyAss.com.

Also, I’d suggest using OpenDNS for your DNS servers. As some know, hiding one’s IP address is important, but using your ISPs DNS servers can still expose you to a certain degree because you’re using the DNS servers of your ISP. Go to http://www.OpenDNS.com for more information.

Lastly, NEVER use your real name.

With all of that, one should be pretty well protected.

Marc

4 Trace Mayer, J.D. July 9, 2012 at 11:27 am

Those are great tips Marc. Thanks!

5 paz August 22, 2012 at 1:16 am

“3. if you want to make a comment criticizing Israel, criticizing US foreign policy, or supporting Saudi Arabia, Islam, Muslims, Palestinians, the Qu’ran, or Iran;” really? you should live in the UK….its exactly the opposite….

6 Julain Fraser Becker July 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

I am Director of Goldeneyeint.com. We are a high tech I.T detection unit tracing IP’s, p2p pirates, terrorists, internet hackers etc. We have carried out work for the FBI, CIA, Mosad, and China. If you do illegal things we will find you.
Julian Becker

7 Tips Trik komputer August 27, 2013 at 4:15 am

Good article

8 askfm anonymous finder September 7, 2013 at 4:47 am

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like
you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could
do with a few pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this
is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be back.

9 Alex Z October 23, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I tend to take the opposite tactic – I make sure that almost all my online content leads directly to me (except for Social media, where I use an alias to protect my friends and family). Why? Because by having a high profile of activism it could be the best possible shield should the Police-State ever move against me. As an open opponent to fascism and governmental abuse of power I can point to this history as the underlying reason for any harassment by thugs in blue costumes.